Happy October - National Book Month is Here!
October is National Book Month. Time to pick up that book you’ve been meaning to read all year. Visit your local library, purchase a best seller from your local bookstore, support your favorite authors by downloading their latest on your e-reader.
What will you be reading this month? Let me know. If you have no clue what to read this month, I’ve included a few lists of hot books below to help you select the title best for you:
Fiction Best Sellers (per the New York Times):
1. THE HELP, by Kathryn Stockett. A young white woman and two black maids in 1960s Mississippi
2. LETHAL, by Sandra Brown. A woman, her daughter and a man accused of murder evade the authorities as they search for her dead husband’s secrets.
3. THE MILL RIVER RECLUSE, by Darcie Chan. Only one man knows an abused widow, which revealed will change many lives in her small Vermont town.
4. HEAT RISES, by Richard Castle. An N.Y.P.D. homicide detective uncovers a conspiracy that reaches the department’s highest levels.
5. SON OF STONE, by Stuart Woods. The New York lawyer Stone Barrington gets to know his teenage son and proposes to the boy’s mother.
6. THE ABBEY, by Chris Culver. Against orders, a former homicide detective begins an investigation into his niece’s murder.
7. LISTEN TO YOUR HEART, by Fern Michaels. Strange things begin happening to a lonely New Orleans caterer after she meets a wealthy, and irritatingly attractive, Cajun playboy.
8. KILL ME IF YOU CAN, by James Patterson and Marshall Karp. When a young man finds a bag of diamonds, he gets the attention of the Ghost, a major assassin, and a rival assassin who wants the Ghost gone forever.
9. THE NIGHT CIRCUS, by Erin Morgenstern. Two young rivals at a magical circus become collaborators as they fall in love.
10. NEW YORK TO DALLAS, by J. D. Robb. An escaped child molester pursues Lt. Eve Dallas; by Nora Roberts, writing pseudonymously.
11. REAMDE, by Neal Stephenson. A virus invades a multiplayer online role-playing game and sets off a violent struggle.
12. THE BLACK ICE, by Michael Connelly. The Los Angeles detective Harry Bosch investigates the scandalous death of a narcotics officer.
13. SARAH’S KEY, by Tatiana de Rosnay. A contemporary American journalist investigates what happened to a little girl during the roundup of Jews in Paris in 1942.
14. 1105 YAKIMA STREET, by Debbie Macomber. Bruce Peyton’s pregnant wife has left him, and he’s not the only one in town with problems; the 11th book in the Cedar Cove series.
15. BLIND FAITH, by CJ Lyons. A woman finds no closure after a man is executed for the murder of her husband and son.
Non Fiction Best Sellers (per the New York Times):
1. HEAVEN IS FOR REAL, by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent. A boy’s encounter with Jesus and the angels.
2. THE IMMORTAL LIFE OF HENRIETTA LACKS, by Rebecca SklootA woman’s cancer cells were cultured without her permission in 1951.
3. MONEYBALL, by Michael Lewis. How the Oakland Athletics built a successful team despite one of the smallest payrolls in baseball.
4. CLEOPATRA, by Stacy Schiff. Reimagining the Egyptian queen who, even in her own day, was misrepresented.
5. OUTLIERS, by Malcolm Gladwell. Why some people succeed — it has to do with luck and opportunities as well as talent.
6. THE GLASS CASTLE, by Jeannette Walls. The author recalls her bizarre childhood.
7. THE BOY WHO CAME BACK FROM HEAVEN, by Kevin Malarkey and Alex Malarkey. A boy who awoke from a coma two months after a car accident had an incredible story to share.
8. CHELSEA CHELSEA BANG BANG, by Chelsea Handler. More humorous personal essays from the comedian.
9. EMPIRE OF THE SUMMER MOON, by S.C. Gwynne. The story of Quanah Parker, the last chief of the Comanches.
10. UNLIKELY FRIENDSHIPS, by Jennifer S. Holland. Forty-seven remarkable stories from the animal kingdom.
Top Free Kindle Books:
1.The Girl in the Lighthouse (Arrington) by Roxane Tepfer Sanford
2.Maid to Match by Deeanne Gist
3.Sold to the Highest Bidder by Donna Alward
4.Grid Detective by Amazon
5.While We’re Far Apart by Lynn Austin
6.Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope) by Catherine Palmer
7.Lady in the Mist (The Midwives) by Laurie Alice Eakes
8.The Brotherhood (Precinct 11) by Jerry B. Jenkins
9.Pirate Stash by Amazon
10.Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock) by Jeff Shelby
Books from Melissa M. Garcia
1. Falling Angels.This action-packed crime novel pits one man against the strength of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department to save the ones he loves from an unknown killer. Car-thief, Luc Actar survived Hell once before, but this time around, his survival depends on saving the angels falling around him.
2. Stranger. The death of a stranger in room 110 of the Death Valley Motel is more than an inconvenience for new owner Alex Delgado. Alex and her brother Ric chose this small desert city because it appeared to be a quiet place for Alex to heal from the violent traumas of her past. But a local detective is determined to uncover the Delgado’s secret and force all three into a deadly collision course.