FALLING ANGELS Book Club Questions
1. What is your view of Luc Actar? What motivates him to find out more about Spencer’s disappearance?
2. Discuss the other characters’ motivations for their actions, both the “villains” and “heroes” in the story, including Mattie Hardwin, Spencer Hardwin, Detective Ward, and John Carliss.
3. What did you find to be most compelling about Falling Angels — the action scenes, the characters, the setting, the dialogue, or something else entirely?
4. “A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry, but money answereth all things.” Discuss how food, alcohol, and money tie into the theme of salvation in Falling Angels.
5. Luc explains that he was able to escape his life on the streets by stealing. He tells Detective Ward that crime still pays for some people. Do you believe this was Luc’s only way out?
6. Luc and Mattie are from separate financial spectrums. Why do you think they became friends? What keeps them together?
7. As a child Luc ignores Mattie’s hints at rebellion. Why do you think he refuses to see her as anything other than an angel?
8. A red herring is defined as something that draws attention away from the central issue. In crime fiction, a red herring is often put there to fool or distract you. Were you fooled by anything in Falling Angels? Were you surprised by the killer’s identity?
9. The novel contains many flashbacks to when Luc and Mattie are younger. Do you feel these flashbacks helped the story or help you better understand their personalities or did they hinder the flow of the mystery?
10. Are you satisfied with how the book ends? Would you have preferred another ending? Do you think Luc and Mattie would be satisfied with a ‘happily-ever-after’ ending?
reposted from an earlier blog.
About Falling Angels:
After a panicked call from his best friend, Mattie Hardwin, Luc Actar must return to Los Angeles and the life he fled three years earlier. Mattie’s husband, a prestigious lawyer named Spencer Hardwin, has mysteriously disappeared. Desperate for assistance, Luc enlists the help of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department in his search to find Spencer, despite his better judgment. But he soon learns that the detectives have their own reasons for locating Spencer—the lawyer has become the prime suspect in a drug dealer’s brutal murder.
As he hunts for the man he thought he knew, Luc’s history with Mattie haunts his dreams and drives him to the depths of the misery he once escaped. Back on the streets of Los Angeles, Luc employs old friends and encounters childhood rivals to take on the sheriff’s department, while a slew of lawyers impede his every move to save those closest to him from an unknown killer.
FALLING ANGELS is the first in the Luc Actar crime series by Melissa M. Garcia.